Wednesday, July 11, 2007

THE WREN THAT FLEDGED IN OUR HANDS




Where I live it is still rural. Some years the house wrens make nests right up next to the house & sometimes they make their nests right in the side of the house, if they can find a knot hole to crawl through. These are pretty small & very social birds. They seem to be more accepting of people than most other wild birds. I have read house wrens are known for making nests close to human homes.

This picture is from the 1st year a house wren nested next to the workshop. It was odd to see a bird nest with babies sitting on the shelf next to household chemicals. But that is where the bird built her nest. This picture was taken after two of the babies left the nest & hopped on our fingers by their own choice. Therion managed to grab a camera & catch a couple of shots.

This same year I remember my heart was broken when the mama bird kept tossing of the babies out of the nest. After several rounds of tossing the baby bird in & out of the nest, I finally brought the baby in the house & tried to rescue. The baby did not make it.

Animals & animal rescue is close to my heart. Maybe that is because I have no children of my own. Before my cancer I knew in my bones God wanted me to be a Vet. I lived my whole life to become a Vet, until cancer struck.

I may have changed my mind about becoming a Vet but I still love to experience up close & personal encounters with wild animals, plants & most of mother nature's creatures (even the snakes & spiders, if they don't get too close!).

No comments: