Saturday, July 21, 2007

REMEMBERING MY MOM

My mom was gorgeous.




I was closer to her than I expect to be with anyone else in my life.

Tomorrow, July 22 is the 6th anniversary of her death.

Last week I heard some current research results that made me appreciate my mother and remember something significant, loving and intellectual she did for me bringing me up. Now I see my mom was ahead of her time with respect to literacy.


Last week on NPR I heard a story discussing how the Harry Potter books have brought a generation of kids back to reading. In the study they looked into why some kids read and some kids don't like to read. One of the unexpected results showed kids who start reading early (around 1st grade) often loose interest in reading somewhere around 8-12 years old, because they have a hard time finding the next good book. This idea reminded me of when I was a kid and my mom constantly shared books with me she thought I had in interest in reading. My mom loved to read and she was very happy to see her eldest child and daughter enjoying books. Then I wondered if reading would have always held my interest if my mom had not been so encouraging.

No comments: