Friday, March 14, 2008

AMBER’S BEST BUG FINDS AROUND CENTRAL TEXAS VOL. 3-15-08

What kind of moth is this?

Found this lady hanging out on the fence in the yard yesterday. She was the biggest moth I ever saw. Her wingspan measured between 5 & 6 inches across at the widest point.

She stayed in the same place for something like 6 hours, from late afternoon until sometime after 10PM, & she let me get within a foot of her without flying away. We thought maybe she just finished the transformation out of the cocoon into a full fledgling moth & was drying her wings.
























I think Spring has arrived here in Central Texas, no matter what that groundhog said. The wild irises are in bloom too.







I also think I need to admit I picked up another hobby I am passionate about, Nature Photography (to go with the three dozen other hobbies I actively play at ;~)

No comments: